California Dried Plums
Health & Nutrition Benefits of California Dried Plums
One serving of Dried Plums is 40 grams, about 1/4 cup or about 5 Dried Plums.
Dried Plums Nutrition Facts
- Dried Plums are fat-free, sodium-free and cholesterol free.
- Dried Plums are a good source of fiber, both soluble and insoluble; one serving provides 11% of the Daily Value or about 3 grams.
- Dried Plums score high in total antioxidant capacity and contain phenolic compounds that act as antioxidants.
A 40-gram (1/4 cup) serving provides
- 3 grams of fiber, 293 mg of potassium, and 16 mg of magnesium, all for less than 100 calories.
- This 40-gram serving of Dried Plums provides nearly 26 grams of carbohydrate in the form of naturally occurring glucose and fructose.
- Dried plums have a consistent, satisfying sweet taste with no added sugar, containing fructose and glucose but almost no sucrose. All these sugars are naturally occurring. Dried plums also contain sorbitol – a sugar alcohol – which is non-cariogenic.
- Dried plums can help manage weight. Dried plums as a snack suppressed appetite relative to low fat cookies, perhaps by producing lower glucose and/or appetite-regulating hormone concentrations. Dried fruit consumption, as little as 1/8 cup a day, is associated with reduced overweight or obesity, specifically abdominal obesity, in adults.
- Dried plums promote heart health. Dried plums reduce LDL cholesterol in both animals and humans. The equivalent of eating 10-12 per day reduced atherosclerotic lesions in a strain of mice that develop atherosclerosis quickly.
- Dried plums promote bone health. Dried plums are rich in phenolic compounds, which may inhibit bone resorption and stimulate bone formation as well as function as antioxidants. Dried plums are also a good source of nutrients reported to influence bone health, including boron, potassium and vitamin K.
- Dried plums promote digestive health. Research determined that dried plums are safe, palatable and more effective than psyllium for the treatment of mild to moderate constipation, and should be considered as first line therapy.
More about California Dried Plums at